The Old Course is the Home of Golf where golf was first played 600 years ago. It remains a real test of golf for today’s champions. The fabled original links course is synonymous with The Open Championship which it has hosted more times than any other venue and will host for a 29th time in 2015. Despite its reputation and status, it is a public course and is one of seven public courses at St Andrews Links.
Golf was first played on what is now the Old Course in the 1400s. The course has evolved over time and was not designed by any one architect. The people who played a major role in shaping it were Daw Anderson (1850s) and Old Tom Morris (1865 – 1903).
Rory McIlroy shot a 63 during the first round of the 2010 Open. He holed eight holes under par, scoring a birdie at 3, an eagle at 9 and a spectacular six birdies on the back nine at 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 18.
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club Of St Andrews
13 The Links, Saint Andrews, Fife KY16 9JB, Regno Unito